I am a mature married student, with 2 young children at home. Becoming a teacher is a second career for me. My first profession was in the field of addictions, working with at risk populations at the Phoenix Centre. I love to travel with my family. I can speak fluent Spanish. I enjoy an active lifestyle, including many outdoor recreational activities. I am not afraid of hard work.

david-kathy-before-kids

I love my family very much, and I try to spend as much time with them as possible. My husband, David is an accountant. My son Julian is 8 years old. My daughter, Courtney is 5 years old. They keep me on my toes.

family-pic

My father was a high school science teacher, he had a formative influence on how I saw education. Below is a picture of me at a party for teachers and their families. I was 7 years old. The photo was taken by Mr. Gore, a colleague of my father.

img_1721As a youngster, I had no fear. I loved adventure and trying new things. Below is a picture of me at age 13. I had just climbed to the top of the Grand Tee-ton mountain in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I was rappelling down a free-fall of about 200 feet. I loved it!

img_1731

These days my adventures are more ordinary. However, teaching and parenting requires a different kind of courage. I know that I am up to the challenge. After all, I’ve already climbed one mountain, what’s one more?